The Annual Town Election has been moved to Saturday, June 13, 2020 due to the declared State of Emergency related to the coronavirus pandemic. Here is what you need to know:
- All voters are encouraged to vote by mail to ensure public safety in this pandemic.
- Ballots are available by mail beginning May 2. Please use the form found in the WATTS newsletter to request your ballot. You may make copies of this application as needed for any other voters in your household.
- Each voter must request his/her own ballot in writing, individually. Requests can be made using the application , or simply in writing on plain paper. Requests MUST be legible and include your printed name, address, and telephone number, AND the voter’s signature. Requests are not considered valid unless signed. All voters in a household can return their requests in one envelope if that is more convenient.
- Voters can return their applications by either dropping them in the black locked mailbox outside the town hall (no postage required) or by mailing them to: Town Clerk, 15 Middlefield Rd., Chester, MA 01011. Once the Town Clerk receives your application, she will mail you a ballot.
- All ballots must be returned by 12 noon on Friday, June 12, 2020. This is a strict deadline. Postmarks do not count. Ballots must be in the clerk’s office by this deadline.
- On Election Day the polls will be still be open from 10 am – 2 pm for those who still want to vote in person.
- If you are not sure you are registered to vote, you can check online at http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ or by calling the town clerk’s office at (413) 354-6603.
The ballot this year is uncontested. All candidates are running for 3-year terms. Candidates running for re-election are as follows: John Baldasaro, Board of Selectman; Elizabeth Massa, Board of Health; Teresa Donovan and Mary Ann Pease, Library Trustees; Duane C. Pease, Electric Light Commissioner. Besides these, the following offices are also on the ballot: 3 seats on the Board of Assessors for 1, 2, and 3 year terms, respectively; 1 seat on the Board of Health, for a 1 year term, School Committee for three year term.
Anyone planning to run as a write-in candidate should notify the Town Clerk.
If you have any questions about any of this information, please call the Town Clerk at (413) 354-6603.