Eversource proposal to purchase CMELD


Diane M. Hall, Manager
Deryck Savoy (term expires May 2024)
Terry Murphy (term expires May 2025)
Duane Pease (term expires May 2026)

Office Hours

Monday–Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.


Commissioners meet on the third Monday of every month at 6:00 p.m., unless otherwise noted on the Community Calendar.

Contact the Office

Office: (413) 354-7811
Fax: (413) 354-6610
Send a message to CMELD →

Pay Your Electric Bill

Click here to pay your bill online.
Please note that this link will open in a new window and you will complete your transaction at the site of our vendor, UniPay Gold.
Early Payment Discount: An early payment discount will be given to those customers whose accounts are paid in full within fifteen (15) days of the billing date. The discount of five percent (5%) will be calculated on the Customers’ total monthly bill.

Resources available if you are having a hard time paying your electric bills

Wayfinders: 413-233-1500
RAP Center/Metro Housing: 617-544-9330
Huntington Community Services (Salvation Army): 413-667-2203, ext.306

CMELD Electrical Rates

Please contact CMELD for current rates.

CMELD Service Rate Schedule

• Return Check Fee: $30.00
• Request of Turn on & Turn off Fee: $25.00 each
• Temporary Service Fee: $150.00
• Relocation of Meter Fee: $100.00
• Request for an additional meter read (each): $25.00
Non-payment of Electric Bill will result in your electric service being shut-off. Reconnection will be done ONLY after payment of the full amount due plus a reconnect fee.
• Reconnect Fee (normal business hours: 8:30am–2:30pm Monday–Friday): $50.00
• Reconnect Fee (after normal business hours): $400.00
Customer Deposit Policy: Average of 3 highest months in most recent two year history – not less than a minimum of $400.00


Springfield Partners for Community Action: Provides free energy assessments and funding for energy conservation improvements to qualified home owners or tenants. Tenant or homeowner must qualify for fuel assistance to be eligible for services. Contact (413) 263-6500 or check out their website at www.springfieldpartnersinc.com.

ENE Conserve: Provides energy audits on your home free of charge to Chester residents. Call (888) 772-4242 to schedule your appointment today.

Power Outages & Downed Power Lines

Call (413) 447-0268

Digging? Remember to Call First!

Call 1-888-DIG-SAFE before you dig. Click here to visit the Dig Safe® site for more information.

What to do in a Power Outage or if there are Downed Power Lines

First Step: Report the Outage by calling (413) 447-0268
When your lights go out, let us know as soon as possible. When you speak to a representative, it’s helpful if you can provide any of the following information:

  • Are your lights dim or out?
  • Did you check your fuse or breaker box for blown fuses or tripped circuits?
  • Are your neighbors’ lights out?
  • Is a power line down?
  • Did a tree limb fall on a power line?
  • Is there any damage to the utility pole?
  • Are the streetlights out?
  • Did you hear a noise?

Next Steps for Your Home

  1. Turn off all electrical equipment, including your water heater, electric furnace or heaters, stove, washer and dryer, stereo and TV, to help prevent overloading the system when power is restored. (Major appliances can be turned off at the breaker box.) Do however, turn on a porch light and one inside light so you and CMELD’s crew will know when service is restored.
  2. If you see any downed utility line, stay far back and call CMELD: (413) 447-0268. Keep children and pets away, too. A downed line doesn’t have to spark to be dangerous. And a wire can be dangerous even if you’re not touching it; water, metal, tree branches, concrete or other materials touching the wire can conduct electricity from a wire to you.
  3. If your neighbor’s power comes back on but yours does not, call CMELD again.

If a utility line is touching a person, stay back and call 911. Do not touch them or you could get hurt.

If a wire falls on your car, stay in the vehicle until help arrives and power is cut off. You are safe as long as you remain inside; the rubber tires act as an insulator. If you try to get out and you touch the ground and electrified car at the same time, you will complete the circuit to ground for the electricity, and you could be electrocuted. If you have to get out of the vehicle due to a fire, jump clear of the car with both feet together, and make sure you don’t touch the car when you touch the ground. Then, keeping your feet together at all times, shuffle or hop far away from the vehicle and power line.


**CMELD requires all new meter enclosures to have a manual bypass levers in all applications.**

Temporary electrical service policy:

  1. Temporary electrical services are required to be permitted with an electrical permit issued by the Wiring Inspector.
  2. Temporary electrical services shall not be installed on utility poles or sub-poles and must be installed on an independent support structure or a pedestal.
  3. All meter enclosures for temporary services must include a by-pass lever.
  4. Temporary electrical services are only for the purpose of new building construction, temporary job trailers or as defined in the National Electrical Code Article 590 (Temporary Installations). Temporary services for new build construction purposes must provide a building permit authorization number when filing the electrical permit application.
  5. Temporary electrical services must fully comply with the National Electrical Code Article 590 (Temporary Installations).
  6. Temporary electrical services for any purpose other than defined in Article 590 in the NEC are not allowed.
  7. All temporary electrical services will not be energized by CMELD until written authorization from the electrical inspector has been received directly from the electrical inspector.