Chester Municipal Electric Light Dept. is currently seeking an experienced Lineman Supervisor. The successful candidate will oversee the day-to-day operations of the line crew and report to the General Manager.
Primary role responsibilities include scheduling daily work for the line crew and overseeing the successful completion of such work; maintenance & construction of primary overhead power distribution systems; necessary tree trimming to maintain lines; maintenance & construction of secondary overhead lines; installing and removing meters; planning & estimating line construction; care & maintenance of line trucks and related equipment, care & maintenance of town streetlights; training & instruction of back-up personnel; mutual aid to other Massachusetts Municipal Electric Departments; and scheduling and attendance of classes and safety meetings.
Position requires equivalent of HS Diploma, completion of apprenticeship program & min. of 2 years related electric line experience. Must possess Mass. CDL License, Class 1B & 2A or 2B Hoisting License. Salary contingent on qualifications & experience.
Appointment of final candidate will be contingent upon results of pre-employment drug and alcohol testing, criminal & motor vehicle record checks and a physical exam; costs for these pre-placement requirements to be paid by CMELD.
January 18, 2024
Transfer Station Alternate Attendant Position (On-Call)
Chester Transfer Station Alternate Attendant Position available for on-call days Wednesdays 3pm to 6pm and Saturdays 9am to 1pm year-round. Please send letter of interest by email to [email protected], call 413-354-7781 or text 413-519-3396. Position to be filled ASAP. Open to senior workshare program also!
January 9, 2024
Part-Time Assistant – Council on Aging
The Chester Council on Aging is hiring for a part-time assistant position. The duties will involve distributing lunches from Highland Valley Elder Services, putting the order in once a month, sanitizing surfaces, delivering meals and handing out meals for grab-n-go. The job is 8 hours a week for $15/hr on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 10:30am-12:30pm.
October 5, 2023 – REPOSTING
Equipment Operator/Laborer/Truck Driver
The Town of Chester is seeking a full-time Equipment Operator/Laborer/Truck Driver for the Highway Department. Candidate must possess a Mass CDL Class B or higher, A Hoisting license 2 B or higher and a valid medical card and clean driving record. Experience with snow removal, road construction, repair, and maintenance as well as the ability to operate and maintain the same as well as power tools. Must be able to work alone and be able to do things that need to be done. Please send cover letter and application to [email protected] or [email protected].
A Job description will be provided.
October 3, 2023
The Hamilton Memorial Library is looking for someone available to work Wednesdays 1pm-6pm through December and some Saturdays 9am-1pm. Must have a high school diploma or GED. Please email a resume or letter of interest to [email protected].
April 27, 2023
Chester Fire Chief
The Town of Chester is seeking candidates to fill a part-time Fire Chief position responsible for overseeing the operation of the all-volunteer department, pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 48, Section 42. Candidates must have at least five years’ experience, with a minimum of two years in a supervisory position, in fire/EMS service. The Town of Chester is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
January 19, 2022
Seeking Certified Librarian (or working towards certification), 19 hours/week, flexible hours. Hamilton Memorial Library in Chester. Send questions or resume to [email protected]. See more detailed job description here.
November 15, 2021
Water Commissioner (1)
Town of Chester is looking for one Water Commissioner. Their specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Oversee the management,operation, improvement, and control of all aspects of the Town of Chester water system, to include the following:
- Monitoring all emails and phone calls to the Water Dept.
- Work with CMELD on billing and receivables. Be aware of all overdue accounts.
- Coordinate with Highway on shutoffs and turn-ons of water meters.
- Award contracts for work to be performed in the maintenance and construction of Town water systems within the budget proposed and passed at annual town meeting. This includes the hiring of an appropriately licensed Water Operator as defined by Massachusetts DRP standards.
- Establish rules and regulations for the use of the Town of Chester water systems.
- Fix just and equitable rates for the use of the Town of Chester water systems, with all changes to rates subject to the approval of the Board of Selectman.
- Keep necessary records and distribute necessary notices to customers as required by the Department of Environmental Protection and MA record-keeping law.
- Oversee the collection of daily flow rates and acceptable water quality information.
- Provide regularly scheduled on-site inspections and evaluations as deemed necessary to accomplish.
- Oversee the preparation and submittal of all necessary reports to the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
- Provide updates to the Board of Selectman during the second regularly scheduled meeting of each month.
- Research, and apply for any grants available to the Water System. Be responsible for the execution and reports of all awarded grants.
- Desire to continue improving existing water system in order to deliver high quality water to the citizens of Chester.
Commissioner Expected Qualifications:
- Members are expected, to the extent possible, to be specially qualified by education and training in matters pertaining to waterworks and water supply.
- Capable of performing on-site inspections as necessary.
- Knowledgeable in aspects of Microsoft Office necessary to prepare and distribute necessary reports and notices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to handle communications between water operator, DEP representatives, and Town users as necessary.
Please send letters of interest to Katherine Warden at [email protected].